ED&F Man is one of the world’s leading traders of agricultural commodities; we are looking to recruit a Trade Accounting Manager to support our worldwide sugar trading business which operates in over 20 countries managing sugar procurement, production and distribution, with significant strategic growth ambitions for the future.
The primary responsibility is to control and report high quality, timely and value add financial information relating to commercial activity to multiple stakeholders both inside and outside the Sugar Division. This is a key role in an exciting and entrepreneurial part of the business, involving close interaction with trading teams, operations and risk. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to gain a unique insight into the business.
The selected candidate will be working as an integral part of a global finance team interfacing with the Sugar Division’s trading business, its related operations, and other departments within the ED&F Man Group. The role will focus on trading of Sugar across the Globe.
Our ideal candidate will have proven experience of operating within a fast-paced trading environment with a proactive approach to transactional activities, financial reporting and control.
The primary aim of this role is to manage the Trade Accounting reporting for sugar traded in a variety of global trading locations. The core responsibilities entailed are:
- Daily validation and explanation of Trading gross margin
- Review and explanation of change in value of the futures portfolio
- Ensuring complete and accurate financial information is produced for each trading book including Profit and Loss and Balance sheet related accounts.
- Understanding and explaining changes in working capital use
- Ensuring all trades are valued in line with the Group Accounting Policy
- Ensuring valuations are in line with market information
- Ensuring clear and concise explanation for key P&L moves in given periods
- Ensuring all deadlines are met without fail
- Ensuring clear control and reporting of each trade from source system to financial reporting system.
- Ensuring a robust control environment, in line with the company Minimum Control Standards.
- Actively partake in projects to bring improvement to the Sugar reporting process – this is likely to include process and system improvements requiring qualified accounting experience to establish accounting rules and new processes: Automation of P&L attribution processes; Balance Sheet analysis; Financial Accounting for trades and reconciliation to General Ledger reporting; Identification and reporting of business drivers
- Be a Business Partner in support of commercial activity
- Review and validate daily margin calls with the exchange
- Supervising junior staff members to help achieve team objectives
Skills and experience
- The individual undertaking this role would ideally be a fully qualified or part qualified Chartered Accountant (CIMA/ACCA/ACA or equivalent) with solid demonstrable experience of both trade and financial accounting (study support available).
- Solid experience gained within a bank or big four or commodity environment.
- Experience of working within physical commodities trading would be desirable.
- Ability to analyse financial data and prepare financial reports and projections.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- The role requires a well organised and efficient individual who can manage competing deadlines with strict time constraints.
- Flexible, proactive and willing to take on additional tasks as the department’s workload requires.
- Ability to challenge the status quo and seek continuous improvement to reporting and control processes.