Established in 1783, ED&F Man is an employee-owned agricultural commodities merchant with 5,500 people in 50 countries and annual revenue in excess of $8bn. We trade sugar, coffee, molasses, animal feed and pulses. Established in 1783, ED&F Man is an employee-owned agricultural commodities merchant with 6,000 people in 60 countries and annual revenue in excess of $8bn. We trade sugar, coffee, molasses, animal feed and pulses. Corporate responsibility is ingrained in our culture. We are passionate about sustainable production, take care to limit the environmental impact of our operations and actively support the communities in which we work.
We source or process raw, white and specialty sugars from over 40 producing countries. We sell to refineries, industrial users, wholesalers, retailers and consumers, offering local solutions though a number of in-country purchasing, sales and distribution businesses.
We have an exciting opportunity for someone to join us as an experienced and high calibre Trade Accountant to work in a truly global environment to control and report high quality and value adding financial information related to commercial activity. This is a key role in an exciting part of the business, involving close interaction with trading teams, finance, and risk. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to gain a unique insight into the business. Our ideal candidate will have proven experience of operating within a fast-paced trading environment with a proactive approach to transactional activities, financial reporting, and control.
As a member of Bonsucro, all our processing operations and trading hubs have the highest sustainability credentials and we play an active role in developing the sustainability agenda.
The primary aim of this role is to manage the Trade Accounting for sugar traded in a variety of global trading locations.
The core responsibilities entailed are:
- ensuring complete and accurate information is produced for Spec Book on daily basis
- ensuring complete and accurate information is produced for FX exposure on daily basis and ensuring concise explanation for key moves in given periods
- ensuring other day to day activity related to Trade accounting is carried out
- ensuring a robust control environment, in line with Minimum Control Standards
The job holder will also:
- actively partake in projects to bring improvement to the Sugar reporting process – P&L attribution, Balance Sheet analysis & Reconciliation to General Ledgers etc
- review and validate daily margin calls with the exchange
- undertake hoc duties as required
Required Skills and Experience:
- Ideally be a qualified Chartered Accountant (CIMA/ACCA/ACA or equivalent) with solid demonstrable experience of both trade and financial accounting
- 1-2 years of experience gained within a bank, big four or trade house
- Experience of working within physical commodities trading would be desirable
- Ability to analyse financial data and prepare financial reports and projections
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- The role requires a well organised and efficient individual who can manage competing deadlines with strict time constraints
- Flexible, proactive, and willing to take on additional tasks as the department’s workload requires
And as an ever-friendly reminder: Researchers have found that men apply to roles when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria. Women and other underrepresented groups tend to apply only when they check every box. If you are interested, but don’t feel like you meet every single point on the job description, please still apply!
Here at ED&F Man we are guided by our five company values: Respect, Integrity, Meritocracy, Client Focus and Entrepreneurship. Our values are underpinned by a set of essential behaviours, which form part of our performance management approach. Delivering on our objectives is very much about ‘what’ we do, but these essential behaviours also provide a guide and measure for ‘how’ we do things. Our performance essentials are Take Initiative, Self‐Management, Deliver Results and Collaboration.
Equal Opportunities Statement
ED&F Man is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. All qualified applicants will receive equal treatment without regard to race, colour, sex, gender, age, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital or civil partner status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment (identity, gender expression), genetic information or any characteristic protected by local law.