Westway Feed Products is North America’s largest manufacturer of liquid supplements for livestock. Additionally, we produce tub supplements, feed mill products, dried molasses and industrial products. The core concept of Westway’s business is to utilize co-products from other industries and convert them into safe, high-quality, cost effective, livestock feed supplements. While Westway’s primary ingredient for many of our products is molasses, we also incorporate other co-products such as glycerin, whey, corn solubles, corn steep and soy solubles. The concept of utilizing these co-products is the foundation of our sustainability platform. Today, Westway operates 25 production facilities across the United States, Canada and Mexico. Our geographic reach allows for products to be developed according to environmental and production system variations across the country.
Westway Feed Products is a subsidiary of ED&F Man. Established in 1783, ED&F Man is a privately-owned agricultural commodities merchant with 5,500 people in 50 countries. ED&F Man is a pioneer as well as a trader in liquid agricultural by-and- co-products. We offer expertise in animal nutrition and feed dispense technology to farmers. We work closely with manufacturers, such as rum and yeast producers, to provide quality products from sustainable sources.
An opportunity has arisen for an experienced Ingredients Purchasing Specialist to join our supply chain team based in our head office at the Woodlands, Texas. The role provides long term potential for someone eager to demonstrate their skills and progress within the challenging and fast‐paced soft commodities industry.
Responsibilities to include, but are not limited to:
The successful post-holder will not only be responsible for the procurement and delivery of feed ingredients as required to ensure timely production at Westway Plants but will play a critical role in providing inputs to keep the business flowing through managing ingredient offtake and any related logistics.
- Prepares and processes purchase orders for all feed ingredients
- Implements offtake and logistic plans to support corporate objectives, control the costs of ingredients, and to ensure an adequate source of supply
- Identifies potential new vendors and ensures all active vendors have gone through the “Approved Supplier” process and all necessary information is maintained to minimize risk
- Creates and maintains mutually beneficial long-term partnerships with suppliers to foster feedback, price controls, and continuous improvement
- Communicates with the production staff, vendors, and the procurement team to ensure a smooth supply chain
- Manages contracts and agreements for ingredients
- Drives continuous improvement in all aspects of the procurement process to maximize ordering efficiencies, communication, and contract data integrity
- Maintains good working relationships, acts professionally and positively represents the business
- Maintains confidentiality and represents the company at industry functions and organizations as requested
- Takes the initiative to identify problems, uses judgement to find appropriate solutions and follows through on resolving issues in a timely manner
Skills and Expertise
- BA/BS in Agriculture, Business, Materials Management, or related degree
- Applicable purchasing experience, ideally in feed ingredients or related business
- Knowledge of procurement principles, theories and processes and ability to strategically apply and use these concepts
- Skill in working with cross-functional business teams
- Ability to research and analyze supplies, market, industry and to apply that information to procurement
- Ability to effectively present information and to interact with others in a professional and appropriate manner and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and customers and suppliers
- Ability to negotiate and close deals
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business and professional journals, technical procedures, governmental regulations, and financial reports
- Attention to detail and organizational skills and ability to write contracts, reports and correspondence
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems and ability to interpret a variety of instructions, policies and data
- High motivation level with the ability to perform work with considerable independence under the general direction of supervisor, also to exercise judgment and make decisions independently
HIGHLY COMPETITIVE PAY AND BENEFITS PACKAGE
And as an ever-friendly reminder: Researchers have found that men apply to roles when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria. Women and other underrepresented groups tend to apply only when they check every box. If you are interested, but don’t feel like you meet every single point on the job description, please still apply!
Here at ED&F Man we are guided by our five company values: Respect, Integrity, Meritocracy, Client Focus and Entrepreneurship. Our values are underpinned by a set of essential behaviours, which form part of our performance management approach. Delivering on our objectives is very much about ‘what’ we do, but these essential behaviours also provide a guide and measure for ‘how’ we do things. Our performance essentials are Take Initiative, Self‐Management, Deliver Results and Collaboration.
Equal Opportunities Statement
ED&F Man is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. All qualified applicants will receive equal treatment without regard to race, colour, sex, gender, age, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital or civil partner status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment (identity, gender expression), genetic information or any characteristic protected by local law.