Westway Feed Products is North America’s largest manufacturer of liquid supplements for livestock. Additionally, we produce tub supplements, feed mill products, dried molasses and industrial products. The core concept of Westway’s business is to utilize co-products from other industries and convert them into safe, high-quality, cost effective, livestock feed supplements. While Westway’s primary ingredient for many of our products is molasses, we also incorporate other co-products such as glycerin, whey, corn solubles, corn steep and soy solubles. The concept of utilizing these co-products is the foundation of our sustainability platform.
Today, Westway operates 25 production facilities across the United States, Canada and Mexico. Our geographic reach allows for products to be developed according to environmental and production system variations across the country.
An opportunity has arisen for an Assistant Plant Manager to join the team in Clewiston, FL
The Assistant Plant Manager will manage the day to day operation of the Westway Feed Products bulk liquid feed facility to maximize efficiency, safety and profitability. This role will ensure that all orders are handled effectively and in line with customer’s needs. Working within our highly diverse business you will have the opportunity to make a real impact working on a range of regional and global projects, support on the day-to- day management of Plant issues.
Responsibilities to include, but are not limited to:
- Directly supervises and coordinates the activities of the Plant staff, including time off. Assists the Plant Manager with staff recruitment, training, performance management, compensation, and discipline.
- Coordinates production & receiving and ensures orders are filled correctly.
- Observes and makes recommendations regarding the efficiency of the Plant’s operational
- Assists in planning and coordinating customer service activities in consultation with the Plant. Acts as a contact for customers in conjunction with Plant Manager.
- Coordinates with office staff regarding work product and ensures orders are correctly fulfilled.
- Enforces company policies and procedures to promote and ensure a safe and environmentally responsible. Assists with safety meetings and inspections.
- Ensures all production is carried out per company polices and regulations, including ensuring appropriate product mixing/blending and coordinating the logistics and movement of product.
- Plans and completes record keeping programs required for regulatory
- Assists with Plant audits and completes special projects as requested by management
- Interacts and communicates with staff and co-workers in a professional and appropriate manner and responds to and gives feedback in a respectful and positive manner.
- Takes the initiative to identify problems, uses judgment to find appropriate solutions and follows through on resolving issues in a timely manner.
- Maintains confidentiality of all corporate, personnel and research
- Supports team efforts, actively works to generate respect and enthusiasm, cooperates with others, and actively learns from other team members.
Skills and Expertise:
To perform the duties of this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below outline the knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies that are required in this position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum 1 year experience as a Plant operator or related Plant, refinery, or tank vessel experience
- Knowledge of and ability to supervise staff
- Knowledge of and skill in operating equipment
- Ability to use hand/power tools
- Ability to wear safety equipment, including safety shoes, goggles, gloves and similar equipment
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents (regulations, policies, reports, bids, ), blueprints, drawings
- Ability to write reports, correspondence, and procedures
- Ability to effectively present information, communicate with, and respond to questions and complaints from staff, co- workers, management, and customers
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software and ability to learn other software
- Knowledge of pertinent laws and regulations
- Customer service focus
- No vision impairments or colour blindness and a general good fitness, condition and physique to safely:
- work outside for long periods of time, in shifts and overtime (as necessary), including weekends or evenings, in any weather condition.
- execute manual handling activities.
- be working at height without limitations.
- using (vertical) ladders and pathways (e.g. walking on platforms, scaffolding, climbing on top of railcars, truck trailers and land tanks, etc.).
- work in confined spaces.
- operate forklift truck.
- work with chemicals and hazardous substances.
Successful candidates must complete a drug screen, functional employment physical and background check. Westway Feed Products LLC maintains a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
Here at ED&F Man we are guided by our five company values: Respect, Integrity, Meritocracy, Client Focus and Entrepreneurship.
Our values are underpinned by a set of essential behaviours, which form part of our performance management approach. Delivering on our objectives is very much about ‘what’ we do, but these essential behaviours also provide a guide and measure for ‘how’ we do things. Our performance essentials are Take Initiative, Self-Management, Deliver Results and Collaboration.
Equal Opportunities Statement
ED&F Man is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. All qualified applicants will receive equal treatment without regard to race, colour, sex, gender, age, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital or civil partner status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment (identity, gender expression), genetic information or any characteristic protected by local law.