TRAINEE SUGAR TRADER
Posting date: 16 October 2020
Closing Date: 12 November 2020
Company: ED&F Man
Job Type: Permanent
Hours: Full time
We are looking for a commercially astute bi-lingual candidate to embark on a challenging career as a Trainee Sugar Trader. The role will be based initially at our global head office in London although the role will have a global remit and candidates must be geographically mobile.
This is a rare opportunity to join an established commodities trading house as a trainee with exposure to trading in global markets from day one. Learning all aspects of the business you will carry out a wide variety of activities to enhance your learning from our expert Traders.
ED&F Man are one of the world’s leading providers of sugar. We buy both raw and white sugar directly from origin countries for sale to final consumers and industrial users, wholesalers and refineries. We operate in over 40 countries around the world.
· Assist in the physical trading of raw, refined and white sugar throughout the global markets.
· Build strong relations with growers and ‘point of origin’ suppliers.
· Establish relationships with existing customers and create new business as well as connections with industry contacts.
· Monitor supply and demand developments, movements and regional sugar market trends and provide analysis.
· Support in the negotiation of contracts to agree prices, quality, delivery and specifications.
· Ensure timely execution of contracts and delivery of shipments to customers, by investigating and resolving logistics issues.
· Control costs by evaluating freights, bookings and establish efficient and reliable route of shipment.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED FOR THE JOB
• Complete fluency in business English and Arabic
• Strong, substantial experience in a merchant or trading role
• Thorough understanding of the sugar & agricultural commodities industry
• High calibre degree with a statistics, physics, economics or maths focus, with a minimum 2:2 or equivalent grade obtained
• Strong oral and written communicator who effectively builds relationships
• Strong commercial acumen and analytical skills
• Experience with ITAS trading software and proficient IT skills are crucial, particularly Excel
• Able to adjust to change quickly and keen to take on new challenges
• Self-confidence, with the ability to voice opinions constructively
• Entrepreneurial spirit; generates & implements ideas for business improvements
• Strong emphasis on performance; sets high standards, goal orientated, ambitious and able to maintain performance under pressure
• Committed team player who is willing to be flexible and assist with a whole range of tasks to support your colleagues
• Ability to travel at short notice to any destination worldwide as required by the business
ED&F Man was established in 1783. Today the company is a leading provider of commodities, logistics and capital markets services. The company is employee owned with approximately 5,500 employees working in 50 countries around the world.
We enjoy a highly entrepreneurial environment providing the opportunity to build an international career in a partnership culture.
Opening date: 16 October 2020
Closing date: 12 November 2020