Location: Michigan, United States
We have a new opportunity for a Plant Manager to come and join the team at Westway feeds, managing the day to day operation of Westway Feed Products liquid plant you will maximize efficiencies, safety and profitability. This includes communicating efficiently and effectively with customers, employees, sales department, corporate management and the HSE and HR departments. You will supervises and coordinates the activities of the plant staff and take full responsibility for staff recruitment, training, performance management, compensation, discipline and time off request.
- Observes and makes recommendations regarding the efficiency of the plant’s processes.
- Plans and coordinates customer service activities in consultation with regional operations and sales staff.
- Develops, implements and manages mandatory regulatory records.
- Ensures that all record keeping is in compliance with regulations and laws.
- Oversees the Preventative Maintenance (PM) program for plant operating equipment.
- Ensures that equipment is repaired and maintained.
- Assists the regional HSE representative in developing, implementing and enforcing company policies and procedures to promote and ensure a safe and environmentally responsible workplace.
- Approves contractor qualifications in consultation with the HSE department.
- Works with Human Resources to ensure compliance with company policies and procedures and/or bargaining union contracts as well as local, state and federal laws. Coordinates activities with Human Resources to ensure that recruitment, retention, employee relations, performance management, and other human resource issues are effectively and efficiently carried out.
- Monitors the budget and ensures expenditures are within budget parameters.
- Understand and monitor both liquid and dry ingredient inventories.
- Defines scope, cost estimates and goals of projects, prepares and submits capex request. Manages the projects, including budget monitoring, vendor/contractor managing, specs monitoring, compliance issues and cost.
- Prepares and timely submits various management reports, including project status reports, monthly operations reports, and monthly P/L and inventory variance reports.
- Plans and completes special projects and audits as assigned by management, including serving on company committees.
- Interacts and communicates with staff and co-workers and responds to and gives feedback in a respectful and positive manner.
Skills & Qualifications
- Industry specific degree preferred or equivalent education and experience.
- Adequate experience in plant management or related industries
- Knowledge of and ability to manage staff
- Knowledge of and skill in operating equipment
- Ability to wear safety equipment, including respirator, safety shoes, goggles, gloves and similar equipment
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents (regulations, policies, reports, bids, etc.), blueprints, drawings
- Ability to write reports, correspondence, and procedures
- Ability to effectively present information, communicate with, and respond to questions and complaints from staff, co-workers, management, and customers
Working Conditions & Requirements
The working conditions and environment and the physical requirements/activities listed below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the individual regularly works indoors but is occasionally exposed to a variety of weather conditions, including rain and heat/cold, noise, fumes, grease, oil, and noxious odors.
While performing the duties of this position, the individual is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, stoop and climb, walk/stoop in construction sites, docks, roofs and tanks, access confined areas, carry, reach with hands and arms, use hands to finger, handle, feel, and use tools and office equipment and communicate (talk and hear). This position involves standing/bending/stooping for approximately 30% of the workday. Frequently the employee is required to kneel, bend, crawl, crouch, push, pull, lift, or twist. Occasionally the employee is required to lift or exert force of up to 25 pounds. Specific vision ability required is close vision of 20 inches or less and vision ability of greater than 3 feet.