ED&F Man is a leading trader of agricultural commodities with a growing base of manufacturing assets worldwide. For our industrial assets within our Sugar and Pulses business - these being sugar refineries, processing plants and storage/packing warehouses - we are looking for an HSE Manager to take responsibility for the management of the Health, Safety and Environmental compliance and to support of the sites globally.
The key objective is to ensure the operational activities at each facility meets the requirements of the Group’s Health & Safety and Environmental policies, and the legal regulations and standards of the country in which it operates. We are looking for an individual who has the vision to look beyond the obvious to identify the areas for improvement.
The ideal applicant will have the capability to oversee the operations and systems in place, but be equally practical in working in support of the local safety coordinators and plant teams on the ground to enable them to implement the required standards and solutions.
The position is based at our Amsterdam office in the Netherlands, but we are a truly global organisation and this role will involve extensive worldwide travel - many of our assets are in commodity origin locations such as Europe, Asia and North / South / Central America. Also, to ensure close links to our sugar and industrial management are maintained, regular travel to our London head office is required.
• Develop and implement programmes, and agree with Senior Management, to manage the identified hazards and risks and to bring all sites up to a minimum ‘best practice’ position.
• Review major accident potential for the operations and implement the relevant techniques (e.g. HAZOP) to ensure major accidents are prevented.
• Identify, eliminate and manage the health, safety and environmental risks associated with the company’s activities.
• Review HSE performance and determine the adequacy of the existing systems; making recommendations for changes.
• Undertake official compliance audits on the assets to verify compliance to the controls implemented, and to identify areas for further improvement.
• Continuously improve the safety culture and drive behavioural change into the differing parts of the world.
• Undertake investigation and root cause analysis of major accidents and manage the implementation of corrective actions.
• Ensure that all operations adhere, as a minimum, to Group HSE standards and local regulations, legislation.
• Support the sites in managing certification standards to the operations e.g. OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001, and, where required, introduce such certifications.
• Set annual HSE objectives for the sites and develop an action plan to meet these, and report monthly to management on HSE KPIs.
• As part of ED&F Man’s global team of HSEQ Managers execute our 2020 HSEQ plan and vision.
• Ensure continued HSE compliance during management of change (introduction of new equipment, process changes, HSE review of potential acquisitions, site conversions, etc.).
Skills & Qualifications
• 10 plus years’ experience in industrial processing (preferably in food manufacturing) in an HSE management position.
• Degree in engineering (Industrial/mechanical/chemical).
• Strong track record of delivering a HSE programme within a food processing / manufacturing environment.
• Influencing and behaviour change within a multi-site operation.
• Solid experience of dealing with industrial machinery and processes.
• Ability to lead by example combined with a practical ‘hands on’ approach when required.
• Understanding and awareness of global and local HSE issues.
• Able to communicate with all levels of the organisation.
• Adaptable and proactive in responding to changing commercial drivers and assessing the impact on HSE issues.
• An availability and willingness to travel, possibly at short notice, to any part of the world. The travel commitment will demand approximately 30% - 40% of the time.
• IOSH/NEBOSH Diploma/Diploma - or equivalent - in Safety Management preferable.
• Fluent in English and Dutch, other languages is preferred.
ED&F Man was established in 1783. Today the company is a leading provider of commodities, logistics, risk management and financial services. The company is employee owned with approximately 6,500 employees working in 50 countries around the world. ED&F Man is a highly entrepreneurial environment providing the opportunity to build an international career in a partnership culture.