Purpose of Position
As a member of ED & F Man’s back office IT team, this position is responsible for server builds, proactive and reactive maintenance of the server estate, infrastructure and communications management. This role will be a mixture of 3rd / 4th Line support, BAU and project work as the need arises.
Expert level server support of ED&F Man’s global server infrastructure, networking knowledge is essential and senior liaison with 3rd party Network and communication partners. The right person for this role will have an excellent all round knowledge of complex infrastructure environments.
Your Role & Responsibilities
• Design, implementation, support, monitoring and maintenance of global infrastructure and services, including but not limited to server and storage hardware, LAN and WAN services, telephony services, ensuring availability of infrastructure services.
• Design, implementation, support, monitoring and maintenance of infrastructure software platforms, including but not limited to server / client operating systems, messaging and database services, reporting platforms, Citrix, vpn, web proxies and all other software based systems.
• Develop operational, installation, configuration and upgrade documentation for communication systems, hardware, network, security, storage, software and other computer related systems.
• Serve as a liaison between other technical staff, management, users, and vendors regarding service requests, usage, standards, security, and other technical matters.
• Provides on site or remote access diagnoses and resolution of computer hardware and software problems,
• Provide subject matter expertise, advice and consultancy for assigned technology and infrastructure systems.
• Evaluates infrastructure services equipment and software for purchase; recommends new configurations, provides training or arranges for vendor training for system users. Develops cost estimates and makes recommendations for systems development and upgrades to existing systems.
• Collaborate on, or lead UK and European based IT infrastructure projects through to successful implementation and hand over to operational support.
• To take part in the 24/7 On-Call rota
Knowledge & Skills
• Management and maintenance of Active Directory (Inc. DNS, DHCP etc)
• Maintenance of datacentres and DR sites
• Monitoring of the infrastructure to proactively identify issues or problems before they occur
• Capacity planning
• Work collaborative with all members of the IT teams to resolve escalated issues from all areas of the business
• Vendor and 3rd party liaison for escalations and problems
• Excellent understanding of network technology.
• Carry out ad-hoc project based implementation work
• Manage backups and restores
• Management of the VMware estate, SAN, Citrix, Exchange, MDM, Active Directory and all other critical technologies.
• Defining minimum control standards for infrastructure areas Building servers to ED&F standards
• Testing and identifying of patches to maintain server stability and security
• Ability to manage incidents through to resolution
• Strong analytical and problem solving abilities
• Initiative to seek information in unstructured and undocumented environment
• ITIL processes and desire to follow processes with little formal control
• Attention to detail and meticulous planning
• Communication with 3rd parties, vendors and senior managers
• Able to quickly learn and support bespoke business applications.
• Communication with developers to identify function upgrade requirements/bug fixes.
• Consolidation and migration from physical to virtual servers
• Windows server 2003 / 2008 / 2012
• VMware ESX, vSphere, vMotion
• Active directory including DHCP, DNS, WINS
• Exchange 2010 / Office 365 / EV
• SharePoint Online
• Skype for Business
• SQL server
• HP, Cisco, EMC servers and storage
• Hardware builds and server components
• LAN / WAN routing and configuration
• VPNs, Firewalls etc.
• Cabling and network patching
• Backups and Restores using Arcserve and VEEM
• Testing – functional and performance
• Good working knowledge and use of remote technologies such as RDP.
Minimum Level of Education:
• Degree or equivalent experience
Certificates / Licenses
• Bachelor’s degree, technical degree, or equivalent experience
• MCITP and MCSA. CCNA and VCP.