Purpose of Position
The role of the Network Architect is to facilitate the creation of detailed design documents for internal and external network, security and connectivity requirements. This role works alongside technical specialists within ED&F to provide technical design advice and steering.
First class communication, collaboration and problem solving skills are required as is the ability to understand a complex global technical environment and infrastructure. The ability to manage a solution from design to project phase and implementation is also required.
The holder of this role will be the technical authority for the rest of the network engineers and will act as an escalation point for all technical matters regarding both the WAN and LAN infrastructure within all offices globally.
• Ownership of translating business or client requirements into a cost effective, fit for purpose network design.
• As part of a project team, work alongside implementation engineers to transition designs into operation.
• Act as a point of escalation and assist in the resolution of complex network related incidents.
• Define technical strategy and procedures for the design and support of ED&F network infrastructure.
• Work to standardise and simplify the existing network infrastructure where possible.
• Work closely with customers, suppliers, third parties and internal engineering departments to ensure the existing network infrastructure remains supportable and performs to requirements.
• Ensure network change communications and procedures within the ED&F change control framework are adhered to.
• Oversee the installation and commissioning of all network infrastructure including switches, routers, firewalls and load balancers.
• Ensure accurate, clear and comprehensive network documentation is maintained.
• Some manual handling will be required
• May be required to work on all ED&F sites.
• Act as a point of escalation for incidents both in and outside of working hours.
• Provide 3rd line support, including out-of-hours support in critical incidents and participate in on-call support.
• Comply with security in accordance with established policies and procedures of the organisations
• In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed, the jobholder is required to perform other duties assigned by the supervisor/manager from time to time, as may be reasonably required of them
Knowledge & Skills
• Proven commercial experience in designing, Installing, commissioning and supporting large complex multi-site voice and data LAN and WAN network solutions based predominantly on Cisco products.
• An in-depth understanding of network infrastructure design and best practice principles including routing and switching concepts and technologies, advanced IP addressing, dynamic routing protocols, MPLS, Secure and resilient routing solutions, Unified communications, Load balancing and traffic management, Quality of Service (QOS), Wireless and Mobile communications
• Excellent awareness of Network and Information Security best practice and significant experience of working with multiple stakeholders to design compliant solutions that balance the need for Security against business dynamism.
• An in-depth understanding of end to end secure network concepts, technologies and protocols including Access control, Next generation, Web application and Stateful firewalls technologies, Intrusion prevention, Encryption (IPSEC, SSL, Certificates), Security event information management systems, Proxy services. Remote Access & L2L VPNs
• Excellent troubleshooting and problem diagnosis skills developed from experience.
• Foundation in ITIL
• Experience of FCOE implementation
• Experience of Storage Area Network implementation.
• An understanding of the principles of Datacentre Management.
• An understanding of legacy dialup technologies.
• Knowledge of Wi-Fi network deployment and standards
• Methodical approach to problem solving and resolution
• Self-driven and resourceful to achieve goals independently as well as work well in groups
• Flexibility to adjust to changing requirements, schedules and priorities
• Ability to socialise ideas, make recommendations and gather team consensus to move forward
• Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing to technical and non-technical audiences at all levels in an organisation
• Ability to develop procedural documentation
• Ability to develop and conduct effective presentations
• Ability to effectively demonstrate products and solutions
• Utilise a broad spectrum of technology to produce part or all the technical solution for users
• Apply depth and breadth of technical knowledge and be individually responsible for the design and scope of deliverables within a field of expertise.
• Contribute to knowledge tools and communities, and ensure learnings are shared for reuse.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Virtualization Technologies
• Knowledge of network protocols, network hardware, web technologies.
• Excellent customer facing, presentation, interpersonal and communication skills, with an ability to share expertise with others.
• Broad understanding of technical and complex change programmes.
• Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously
• Exceptionally self-motivated, directed and detail-oriented traits.
• Superior analytical, evaluative and problem-solving abilities.
• Able to adapt to changing circumstances effectively
• Degree Level preferred but not essential if relevant experience can be demonstrated in a consultant or architect capacity
• Minimum 7 years of Full time work experience in a similar role
Certificates / Licenses:
• CCNP (Minimum) Fortinet Qualifications