Junior Coffee Trader
VOLCAFE Spain has an exciting opportunity for a recently graduated person eager to join an established team of coffee trading in Madrid.
- Making key commercial decisions including sourcing in producing countries and identifying successful trading strategies.
- Managing a portfolio of diverse customers.
- Maintaining commercial relationships worldwide as well as growing market presence.
- Negotiating contracts to agree prices, quality, delivery and specifications.
- Devising and implementing commercial strategies in order to grow the business and increase the customer base.
- Providing input into the development of the company’s green coffee trading strategy.
- Ensuring timely execution of contracts and deliveries to customers
- Travelling regularly to visit customers and producers, sometimes at short notice.
- Taking care of the coffee lab; ensuring a good flow of coffee samples between us, suppliers and customers keeping a correctly administrated record of it.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, Business Administration or Agronomy. An MBA would be beneficial.
- Excellent standards of spoken and written English and Spanish required.
- Portuguese and French skills would be advantageous.
- Coffee quality assurance for purchases and sales, requiring keen abilities in cupping/evaluating coffee samples.
- Ability to work independently within a small group of experts.
- Excellent communication skills and cultural awareness
- Microsoft Office Suite skills specially MS Excel and MS Powerpoint.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively worldwide
Established in 1783, ED&F Man is an employee-owned agricultural commodities merchant with 7,000 people in 60 countries and annual revenue in excess of $10bn. We trade sugar, coffee, molasses, animal feed and pulses. We help our counterparties manage price risk through hedging and provide access to commodity and capital markets through our brokerage business.
ED&F Man’s coffee business, Volcafe, is one of the world’s largest traders of arabica and robusta coffees and provides beans for 50 billion cups of coffee each year. Our expertise spans green coffee procurement and preparation, quality control, risk management and logistics.
We work in countries that collectively account for over 90% of world production. From single origin micro-lots to mainstream commercial grades and customised blends, we have what it takes to get the right product to our roaster and retail customers – on time, every time. We are also big on sustainability and traceability: our unique farmer outreach programme, known as The Volcafe Way, works direct with coffee growers to train them in best agronomy practice and sound business management.
Equal Opportunities Statement
ED&F Man is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. All qualified applicants will receive equal treatment without regard to race, colour, sex, gender, age, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital or civil partner status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment (identity, gender expression), genetic information or any characteristic protected by local law. ED&F Man also takes reasonable steps to accommodate applicants with disabilities in accordance with applicable laws.