Location: Tomball, United States
We are looking to recruit a Quality Assurance Specialist to our animal nutrition and feed business, Westway feed. You will plays a key role in providing quality assurance to Westway Feed Products by initiating, planning, and participating in quality assurance activities. These activities will focus on supplier approval, purchasing, receiving, formulations, manufacturing, transportation, food safety, and new product development. This will require the Quality Assurance Specialist to participate in and corroborate with staff in upper management, procurement, formulations, sales, operations, food safety, and compliance.
- Become a quality assurance expert utilizing statistical quality control practices.
- Assist in the development of a SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time Based) quality assurance incentive program in conjunction with the Food Safety and Compliance Manger.
- Work with the Food Safety Compliance Manager to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations concerning the production and distribution of animal feed products.
- Design, update, and document a mixer validation procedure for all of Westway Feed Products facilities.
- Design, update, and document a drug assay procedure for all of Westway Feed Products facilities that manufacture products containing drugs/medication.
- Review and investigate customer complaints/product investigation reports (PIR’s). Issue corrective actions as they relate to quality assurance. Routinely report findings to management, and update the PIR process as needed.
- Review lab reports and make recommendation about trends and potential problem areas. When problems do arise provide insight into areas that are the potential source of the problem.
- Work with the Food Safety Compliance Manager and Technical Services Manager to review and update Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), Food Safety Plan, Work Instructions, and other documents as they relate to Food Safety and/or Quality.
- Review receiving, production, and shipping logs for compliance with Westway Feed Products quality standards. Report deviations from standards and generate solutions to correct deviations.
- Evaluate supplier compliance as it relates to food safety and established ingredient standards. Work proactively to maintain supplier relationships and compliance.
- Act as liaison between production, quality control, compliance, and research and development to ensure quality and products meet company standards. Closely monitor plant practices to ensure quality procedures are in compliance.
- Assist with product formulations and ingredient maintenance.
- Review lab assay results for ingredients and finished products. Report results that have concerns, and update nutrients within Bestmix as they are needed.
- Participate & conduct internal audits as they are needed with a focus on continuous improvement. Review and report findings for both internal and external audits to management. Follow-up on corrective actions resulting from internal and external audits or inspections with operations, regulatory, third party, management personnel, and any other stakeholders.
- Provide advice and guidance to marketing, production, procurement and product development staff to ensure product quality.
- Work with Regional Operations Managers, Food Safety Compliance Manager, and Technical Services Manager to design quality assurance training for operations staff.
- Design, document and manage a Corrective and Preventative Action (CAPA) plan as it relates to internal audits, quality related PIR’s, and other areas where a corrective action may be applicable.
- Prepare and hold meetings in order to give updates on quality issues related to ingredients, products, and facilities.
- Review monthly quality meetings submitted by plants for content and completeness. Participate in monthly quality meetings via Skype or phone as needed. Work with the Food Safety and Compliance Manager to develop a SharePoint list to track monthly QA meeting documentation.
- Utilize PCQI (Preventative Control Qualified Individual) training to train and prepare Westway facilities for 3rd party Food Safety audits and ensure compliance with the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
- Support facilities in developing tools to make Food Safety audits easier and answering any questions that may come from operations and auditors.
- Actively participate within Westway Feed Products Food Safety Team.
- Employee shall comply with applicable regulatory and company health, safety, environmental, and security requirements. Employee is expected to complete required training in a timely manner; perform duties in a safe and environmentally sound manner; and immediately report injuries/illnesses, environmental spills/releases, and any unsafe acts or conditions to supervision in support of continual improvement of the company's health, safety, environmental, and security performance.
Skills & Qualifications
- BS in Agriculture or related degree
(PREFERRED) Advanced degree in Agriculture or related area of education
- To perform the duties of this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below outline the knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies that are required in this position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply nutrition principles to the feed industry
- Knowledge of chemistry concepts
- Ability to design and carry out research and experiments
- Ability to collaborate with third parties such as universities on research
- Understanding of the beef and dairy industries
- WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The working conditions and environment and the physical requirements/activities listed below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the individual is regularly required to sit, carry, reach with hands and arms, use hands to finger, handle, feel, and use equipment and communicate (talk and hear). This position involves standing/walking for approximately 10% of the day and sitting for approximately 90% of the workday. Frequently the employee is required to work on the computer typing and reviewing information. This position requires up to 20% air and/or automobile travel.
The proceeding statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel in this position.