We are looking for an experienced Laboratory Technician to play a key role within this global supplier of agricultural-based liquid solutions to assist in managing and administering health, safety, environmental, and security, sales policies, programs and practices, and support management on sales and customer service issues to create and maintain a safe environment for employees and the general public.
1. Receive and log samples in database.
2. Analyze samples using appropriate sample preparation and testing procedures.
3. Routinely review and update testing procedures as needed.
4. Maintain chemical, analytical, and computer equipment inventory.
5. Monitor and maintain laboratory testing equipment.
6. Review, follow, implement, and enforce safety procedures in the lab.
7. Generate, review, and submit reports to appropriate personnel.
8. Notify appropriate personnel of potential problems noticed during analysis of samples.
9. Ensure adequate space for retain of terminal samples. Retain samples should be inspected weekly and discarded appropriately as needed.
10. Responsible for lab housekeeping duties and maintenance of the lab as a company showpiece.
11. Sample submission to outside labs for analysis that we cannot perform or for samples that require confirmatory testing.
12. Contributions of innovative ideas with regard to all company operations as well as an innovative approach to research and development functions.
13. Monitor and disposal notification of lab waste.
14. Maintains good working relationships, acts professionally and positively represents Westway.
15. Maintains confidentiality.
16. Participates in relevant and mandatory training and represents the Company at industry functions and organizations as requested.
17. Takes the initiative to identify problems, uses judgment to find appropriate solutions and follows through on resolving issues in a timely manner.
18. Supports team efforts, actively works to generate respect and enthusiasm, cooperates with others, and actively learns from other team members.
19. Interacts and communicates with clients/customers and other staff in a professional and appropriate manner and responds to and gives feedback in a respectful and positive manner.
20. Employee shall comply with applicable regulatory and company health, safety, environmental, and security requirements. Employee is expected to complete required training in a timely manner; perform duties in a safe and environmentally sound manner; and immediately report injuries/illnesses, environmental spills/releases, and any unsafe acts or conditions to supervision in support of continual improvement of the company's health, safety, environmental, and security performance.
Skills & Education
• Two years of experience in a laboratory setting
• Ability to read and complete documents and other paperwork
• Computer skills
• Minimum (on the job training acceptable) experience in equipment maintenance
• Ability to communicate effectively with customers and co-workers
• Ability to change duties throughout the day and to work with a variety of individuals
• Ability to interact with others in a professional and appropriate demeanor and maintain effective working relationships with staff and customers
• Ability to work independently with general direction from supervisor
• Capable of reporting to work on time prepared to perform duties of the position and willingness to perform duties as workload necessitates
• Ability to carry out the duties of this position while helping the company to meet its mission and while adhering to policies, procedures and regulations, especially safety regulations.
Westway Feed Products, LLC, is the largest North American supplier of agricultural liquid products including liquid animal feeds and molasses based products. Westway Feed Products is a part of ED&F Man, a specialist merchant of agricultural commodities, trading specifically in sugar, molasses based products and coffee.
ED&F Man was established in 1783. Today the company is a leading provider of commodities, logistics and risk management services. The company is employee owned with approximately 3,600 employees working in 60 countries around the world.
ED&F Man is a highly entrepreneurial environment providing the opportunity to build an international career in a partnership culture.