ED&F Man has an opportunity for an experienced Financial Controller to join a world leading trader of agricultural commodities within a wholly owned subsidiary of our Coffee Trading Division - Volcafe. This finance position offers a broad spectrum of opportunity, scope, commercial activity and authority.
The successful candidate will closely work together with the Swiss based Financial Controllers by supporting their tasks of coordinating and financially managing the business which is at the centre of all our coffee trading, including providing high quality analysis, review, decision support and financial leadership. This position is reporting to the Deputy Finance Director.
We are seeking a commercial oriented finance professional who is able to drive the business forward. This is a significant “hands on” role requiring flexibility to handle detailed transactional level work as well as higher level analysis and review. Ideally, you will have significant experience of operating within a fast paced multinational, entrepreneurial trading and/or commercial environment and would be willing to relocate abroad to one our sister companies in case of need.
The successful individual will have a solid understanding of physical commodity trading and its impact on financial reporting, cash funding and risk. It is a great advantage to have experience of hedging accounted for under IFRS.
Volcafe is one of the world’s leading international green coffee trading companies with its head office in Winterthur, Switzerland, operating in over 20 countries globally, in coffee procurement, sustainability, blending and export as well as importing and distribution, and it supplies the world’s major coffee roasters and retail distributors with their green coffee requirements, with significant strategic growth ambitions for the future.
• Act as a strong support and back-up to the Deputy Finance Director and the Financial Controller of the Swiss Trading entity.
• Support in coordinating and reviewing the financial performance and results of the Swiss entity, including providing commercial insight and analysis as a key team member. Assisting in timely and accurate completion of all group and local reporting requirements.
• Develop a consistent and comprehensive set of standards and reports for the operation within the broader umbrealla of improving financial and commercial support services to the business in co-ordination with the Controller for the Swiss Trading entity.
• Assist in month end closing, anaylsis of the result, including valuation, position control and variance analysis with the target to be able to complete these tasks independently.
• Assist in budgeting and medium term planning.
• Understand the operation’s trade flows, their impact on cash management, resource usage and statutory reporting.
• Assist in limit controls, respective reports, reviews and limit changes.
• Complete reporting in Hyperion under IFRS to the Group parent company in London.
• Follow the group’s minimum control standards and delegated authorities.
• Complete capital investment reviews and proposals.
• Assist in maintaining a strong internal control environment and ensuring all risk limits are strictly adhered to.
• Support function in terms of compliance, transfer price and tax as well as any new products (i.e. SIP) we are dealing with.
• Establish and co-ordinate any legal agreements in co-operation with internal stakeholders.
• Ensure European VAT control (Spain, Portugal, Greece, UK, Germany) are correctly handled.
• Service and competence centre in terms of Finance for the Swiss Trading entity.
• Proactively gain an understanding of new accounting standards and their potential impact on the business unit’s results.
• Respond to ad hoc requests and assist special projects for CFO and Senior Directors.
Qualifications and Experience
• Ideally at least 5 years’ experience in international accounting and/or controlling.
• Willing to relocate in case of need.
• Professional accounting accreditation (fully qualified) or MBA.
• Prior commodity knowledge a significant advantage.
• Fluent in English.
• Self-confident and self-motivated person, not afraid of a very ‘hands-on’ approach and able to operate within a team of different nationalities, cultures and personalities.
• Microsoft Excel, plus ideally Hyperion and Microsoft Dynamics AX experience.