A new and exciting opportunity has arisen within ED&F Man for a Grains Research Analyst with experience in the grains and oilseeds markets to take responsibility for delivering comprehensive research and analysis to support the new commercial grains operations of the business.
The successful candidate will form part of a fundamental research team responsible for proprietary data to support ED&F Man’s fast growing global physical grains trading team. With a minimum of 3 years’ experience analysing and monitoring the global wheat, corn, soybeans and other grains markets, the role seeks to enhance the company’s trading and investment performance in these markets. Working with our specialist research teams in Switzerland, London, Brazil, Singapore and Shanghai, the candidate will benefit from the department’s global reach.
ED&F Man has been a market leader in commodity trading and logistical solutions for many years. This role will concentrate on providing crucial information to the business about strategic market developments in the industry, and on producing creative ideas and solutions linked to the changing Global grains/oilseeds trading environment.
• Monitoring and assessing key market drivers and new developments in order to develop insightful analysis of the global grains/oilseeds market.
• Building and maintaining comprehensive global and regional supply/demand models of the grains and oilseeds markets.
• Building and maintain tradeflow data to monitor and predict future export/import flows.
• Develop insights and forecasting tools which help provide directional and strategic trading recommendations.
• Strong analysis and interpretation of developments in the futures and physical markets as well as weather changes and crop impacts globally.
• Ensure timely communication on key changes to traders and other stakeholders.
• Strong communication skills, both in terms of written reports to present key findings, and verbal/powerpoint to convey fundamentals-driven trade recommendations.
• Proactive approach in supporting the traders and other stakeholders in their market analysis needs and requests.
• Strategic assessments of developments in regional markets, weather, regulatory and trading environment.
• Generating regular and insightful information to the trading teams to strengthen the commercial position of the business.
• Highly numerate with a degree or equivalent qualification in economics, agricultural economics, statistics or a related subject, able to present complex data to senior execs in simple formats
• Minimum 3 years’ experience working in a grains commodity analytical role.
• Highly self-motivated, organised and goal-oriented.
• Ability to work as part of a productive team with sound interpersonal skills is essential.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required, with the ability to convey facts and ideas clearly.
• A keen enthusiasm for agricultural commodities and research is a must as the research will focus largely on management and dissemination of proprietary data, regulatory environment and macros.
• Strong commercial acumen with the ability to link analysis activities to the profitability of the business.
• Proven analytical skills, the ability to identify market trends and maintain a keen eye on supply and demand.
• Strong IT skills, especially proficiency with Excel.