ED&F Man has an opportunity for an experienced and high calibre Financial Controller to join a world leading trader of agricultural commodities within our Grains Trading Division. Working with the Grains CEO, Finance Director, the commercial trading teams and our international subsidiaries, this newly created senior finance position offers a broad spectrum of opportunity, scope, commercial activity and authority.
The successful candidate will cover the position of Divisional Financial Controller coordinating and financially managing our many global subsidiaries, including providing high quality analysis, review, decision support and financial leadership.
We are looking for a commercial leader who is able to drive the business forward. You must have significant experience of operating within a fast paced multinational, entrepreneurial trading and/or commercial environment. The successful individual will have a solid understanding of physical commodity trading, the grains business, and the impact that these operations have on financial reporting, cash funding and risk.
ED&F Man is one of the world’s leading international grains trading companies with its head office in Winterthur, Switzerland, operating in over 10 countries globally, in grains procurement and export as well as importing and distribution with significant strategic growth ambitions for the future.
• Coordinate, review and drive the financial performance and results of each global operation, including commercial insight and analysis.
• Lead and advise on financial and commercial decisions. Candidate must work in close partnership with the respective local General Managers.
• Develop a consistent and comprehensive set of standards and reports within the broader umbrella of improving financial and commercial support services to the business.
• Liaise between the local subsidiaries and Head Office finance department.
• Budgeting and medium term planning skills are essential.
• Prepare for and manage internal and external annual audits – maintain a strong internal control environment given the typical geographical locations of many origin operations.
• Maximize the benefits of systems, including Microsoft AX, Hyperion and Masterisk (in-house developed risk management tool)
• Understand the divisional trade flows, their impact on cash management, resource usage, statutory reporting and tax planning/optimization.
• Be able to answer and provide creative solutions to any business challenge that may be encountered in Grains, Group headquarters or from overseas subsidiary operations.
• Proactively gain an understanding of new accounting standards and their potential impact on the business unit’s results.
• Respond to ad-hoc reporting requests from the CEO and Finance Director.
• Capital investment appraisals/monitoring, project management and treasury management.
• HR development, including mentoring, performance management and oversight of all in-country local subsidiary controllers.
• Minimum 5 years of experience in an international controlling environment
• Prior physical commodity knowledge is important to the role, Grains experience is a significant advantage. Leadership potential is essential
• Professional accounting qualification (fully qualified) or MBA highly desirable
• Able to apply knowledge and experience to provide robust commercial solutions.
• Self-confident and self-motivated person, not afraid of a very ‘hands-on’ approach and able to operate within a team of different nationalities, cultures and personalities
• Fluent in English, other languages also highly desirable
• Prior experience in implementing new ERP IT solutions and/or project management also desirable
• MS-Excel, Word and Powerpoint skills must be proficient.
• Willing to travel to grains producing countries on a regular basis (estimate 10% travel)