Location: Irvington, New York, United States
We are seeking a full time Quality Control Lab Assistant to work in our office in Irvington, NY for our global coffee brand, Volcafe. The Quality Control Lab Assistant works closely with the Quality Control Manager to ensure all Quality Control functions are executed. The Assistant will also be assigned special projects that align with the departments long-term goals.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain a clean and organized lab
- Set up and break down cuppings
- Grade and analyze all warehoused green coffee
- Log sample information in QC database and generate cupping reports
- Prep all samples for roasting
- Consistently participate in daily cuppings
- Ongoing development including:
- Participation & achieve cupper certification
- Assist and participate in tasting exercises
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) required.
- Coffee experience is highly encouraged.
- Experience in the practical application of scientific method is an advantage.
- Experience in a Quality Control Lab or equivalent experiences in a comparable environment including coffee sensory & physical analysis and data organization is highly desirable
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all matters and use discretion with dissemination of information.
- Desire to learn advanced sensory skills (taste, smell) and understanding of sensory and physical quality of coffee.
- Desire and maintain focused calibration with experienced Volcafe cuppers and clients
- Excellent interpersonal skills, willingness to maintain a positive and encouraging work environment
- Ability to work independently with consistent level of efficiency
- Analytical, logical, and methodical approach to problem solving.
- Computer proficiency: ability to use and understand Excel Sheets and Cropster database in an efficient and precise manner
- Good attention to detail with exceptional organization skills and observant nature.
- Efficient, with excellent work ethic and willingness to accept responsibility of independent projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to multi-task and organize
- Ability to read and speak English proficiently. There are coffee professionals from all over the world in our office, so knowledge of other languages eg Spanish is a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The ability to evaluate coffee several times a day in an efficient and unbiased manner.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see talk and hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- At times, may require more than 40 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Fine hand manipulation (keyboarding, green coffee grading)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Laboratory environment. Cleanliness and organization are of utmost importance.
- Office environment. Open format office space of ~12 employees sharing space
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
WHO WE ARE
Established in 1783, ED&F Man is an employee-owned agricultural commodities merchant with 6,000 people in 60 countries and annual revenue in excess of $8bn. We trade sugar, coffee, molasses, animal feed and pulses. We help our counterparties manage price risk through hedging and provide access to commodity and capital markets through our brokerage business.
ED&F Man’s coffee business, Volcafe, is one of the world’s largest traders of arabica and robusta coffees and provides beans for 50 billion cups of coffee each year. Our expertise spans green coffee procurement and preparation, quality control, risk management and logistics.
We work in countries that collectively account for over 90% of world production. From single origin micro-lots to mainstream commercial grades and customised blends, we have what it takes to get the right product to our roaster and retail customers – on time, every time. We are also big on sustainability and traceability: our unique farmer outreach programme, known as The Volcafe Way, works direct with coffee growers to train them in best agronomy practice and sound business management.